Useful Studio worked with Expedition Engineering on the design of a new footbridge linking Chiswick Business Park to the west and the Colonial Drive Residential Development and Chiswick Park Underground Station to the east.
Sustainability, efficiency and elegance drives the design, which is composed on three arches that increase in height from west to east, in-line with the significance of the spans. The graceful arches present a natural form in their surroundings and the earthy tones provided by the weathered steel and hardwood timber deck complement the adjacent nature reserve and park.
The arched proposal is a highly efficient form that maximises off-site fabrication, minimises disruption during construction and reduces material use and waste to ensure minimal environmental impact. This design ethos has been carried through from conception and into the design considerations for construction and demolition.
- AJ Architecture Infrastructure Award, 2019
- Dezeen, Longlist and Shortlist - Infrastructure 2020
- New London Architecture, NLA 2019, Infrastructure - Shortlisted
- Institute of Civil Engineers, ICE 2019 - Winner for Innovation
- Institute of Civil Engineers, ICE 2019 - Winner for People's Choice Award
- Structural Steel Design Awards, 2019 - Shortlisted
Adoption Authority: London Borough of Hounslow
Lead Designer: Expedition, with Useful Studio
Main Contractor: LendLease Construction
Lighting design: Speirs and Major
Electrical design: Atelier 10
Access consultant: David Bonnet Associates
Landscape design: Charles Funke Associates
Project manager: Beadmans
Planning Consultant: Jones Lang LaSalle
Steelwork Fabricator: Severfield UK
Image Credits: Jill Tate